Meet The Frugalwoods – Elizabeth Willard Thames

Get a copy
In a word, this book is inspiring. Inspiring enough that I’m sitting here writing this, because like Elizabeth Willard Thames (aka Liz) I enjoy reading, writing and walking through the woods. Inspiring because I put it down smack in the middle of a sentence to cancel my gym membership because you’re right Liz, why am I paying to go to a building away from everything I love to exercise when I could exercise with the people (and pets) that I love. Inspiring because after finishing this book I immediately moved to my computer to start this blog, after coffee but before breakfast.

Let’s take a few steps back. In my early years as a corporate drone, working in an ‘admin’ role that really meant ‘the tasks that are too dull for the real employees to do’ I started reading about this thing called ‘Financial Independence’ and quickly realised two things – 1. I wanted it, and 2. Gosh it was boring to read about. With the exception of very few shining beacons, the writing out there in the Financial Independence world was dull, numbers-driven, and entirely focussed on selling you a dream, without ever actually giving you that heady feeling of joy that comes from being let into someone else's world. Somewhere in this limbo of excitement and dull numbers I stumbled across the Frugalwoods website. And many years later, I stumbled across their book at the library (already embracing that frugality of not buying what’s freely available, with a little time and effort).

Despite being an avid reader (well, labelling myself as one) I was in a serious slump of hiring books out for the allowed three months, and then taking them back completely untouched. I was at a point where I begged my friends for hints on ‘how to read’, and even installed babysitting apps on my phone that kicked me out of doom-scrolling Facebook after 5minutes. It was at this exact time that I checked out a copy of Meet the Frugalwoods from the library and after a month (and an automated renewal notice from the library) I finally started reading it. I went in with very few expectations, and within the first three pages I was hooked. I was finding excuses to just sit down and read for a minute, just a minute, I swear.

From the very beginning two things are abundantly clear – Elizabeth Willard Thames is a fantastic writer, and she has an abundance of happiness that she wants to share. This book is dripping with personality, excitement, and moments that make you tear up for the sheer joy of it. When Liz was describing the deep feelings of contentment and community from living in a 400-person town in Vermont where everyone knows everyone and offers to ‘stop around sometime’, and ‘let me know if you need anything’ aren’t just empty words, but will result in neighbours appearing in your garden the next morning ready to work – I had to pause and have some feelings. Because she was describing a family, not a blood family, but a found family. The sort of life that so many people talk about, but few seem to be able to reach.

In the book, Liz details the story of how she went from college graduate earning $10,000 a year and living on foodstamps, to owning a 66-acre property in Vermont by the age of 32, with a husband, a dog, a child, and the freedom to stop working at any time thanks to a healthy investment portfolio. If this sounds like the height of privilege, it is. However, this is something that Liz tackles head-on within the first few pages and revisits throughout the book. At no point does she sweep it under the rug or try and sell you a ‘three simple steps to wealth’ plan that costs just $99.95 to get started. Instead, it’s deeply personal, but inspiring (there’s that word again) to the point that I started eyeballing my budget and my kitchen – surely both need a makeover that I can DIY with some patience and some gritty sandpaper.

If you’re looking for some inspiration for a sea change (or a forest-change), or want the gentlest kick-up-the-ass to revaluate your life, this is a book for you. Not everyone wants to retire to a 66-acre homestead (I do, pick me!) but everyone does want a bit more from their life. I think we’re all trapped in trying to figure out who we are, what we want, how to get there and how to be a good person while we’re at it. Meet the Frugalwoods will give you exactly zero answers to those questions, but it will give you inspiration. It’s a very personal book about one persons journey to a simple, happier life, that is impossible to read without wanting to find something about your own life to simplify.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radicalized - Cory Doctorow

Gotta Get Theroux This - Louise Theroux